Friday, October 11, 2013

Masters at UCL

Since I haven't written here since I graduated, let me just quickly explain what I've been up to lately :) 

So I started my masters degree at UCL in computer science, which is a conversion course for people who have different backgrounds and want to go into the IT. 

We've had a crash course in java. Now we've already started developing for external clients! 
As our coursework, we were put into groups of three to develop an app for a client and this weekend was our first deadline to submit a draft of the app with some pseudo code as to how we will structure the program and a report containing functional and non-functional requirements, UML, prototype of the GUI and project management documents. 
I'm really excited about this app that we were assigned because it is basically an interactive learning tool and we are trying to gamify the learning process to get students to want to play/learn ;) 
Also, the main requirement is that the app is in HTML5. Since we are not taught that in our course as a main topic, my group and I have basically taught ourselves HTML, CSS and JavaScript in 2 weeks! 

Now the next deadline is in mid December to hand in a working copy of the app so we have to learn more about all the JavaScript and web tools like jQuery, Ajax and SQLite! 
Busy busy busy! 

But I'm so grateful that there are some really nice free online platforms to learn this stuff. My favourite is Codeacademy but jQuery has some of their own tutorials and they're pretty good. I'm not a fan of Udacity, I feel that it's not very well explained and it's annoying how you have to keep going back to the video for the instructions. 
If anyone knows anything else, do let me know!!

No comments:

Post a Comment